You can create new FTP accounts to give access to other users without giving them your cPanel login credentials. This lesson will guide you on how to create an FTP account in cPanel.
Create an FTP account in cPanel
- Log in to cPanel.
- Under the Files section, click on FTP Accounts.
- Enter the necessary information in the required fields:
- In the Log in field, type the name of the FTP user. A full FTP user name will always be formatted as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select the domain where you wish to create the FTP account from the Domain dropdown menu.
- In the Password fields, enter a strong password that will be used to authenticate this FTP account.
- In the Directory field, cPanel will auto-populate an assumed directory based on the FTP username, but that is normally incorrect. So, we recommend providing the directory you would like the user to access.If you erase everything and type a single “/”, the user will have access to your home directory (anything outside of the public_html folder).
- Set a Quota for the FTP account. (The quota is the maximum amount of bandwidth the FTP user may use.) If you leave the quota as Unlimited, the FTP user will have the ability to use the total amount of bandwidth for the cPanel account.
- Click Create FTP Account.