In this article, you will learn how to Set up Microsoft 365 with two-factor authentication. Once your admin enables your organization, and your account, with multi-factor authentication (MFA) you have to set up your user account to use it.
By setting up MFA, you add an extra layer of security to your Microsoft 365 account sign-in. For example, you first specify your password and, when prompted, you also type a dynamically generated verification code provided by an authenticator app or sent to your phone.
Set up Microsoft 365 sign-in for multi-factor authentication
- Sign in to your Microsoft 365 account. After you choose Sign in, you'll be prompted for more information.
- Choose Next.
- The default authentication method is to use the free Microsoft Authenticator app.
- If you have it installed on your mobile device.
- Select Next and follow the prompts to add this account. If you don't have it installed there is a link provided to download it.
- Next time you sign in to Microsoft 365, you'll be prompted to provide additional verification information, such as typing the verification code provided by your authenticator app or sent to you by text message.
Download and install the app
Install the latest version of the Microsoft Authenticator app, based on your operating system:
- Google Android. On your Android device, go to Google Play to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Apple iOS. On your Apple iOS device, go to the App Store to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.