in this article, you will learn how to Protect your account with Two-factor authentication in Zimbra Email account. With two-factor authentication, you add an extra layer of security to your account in case your password is stolen. After you set up Two-factor authentication (2FA), you’ll sign in to your account in two steps using:
- Something you know “password”
- Something you have “your phone”
How to enable two-factor authentication feature
- Log in to your Zimbra account.
- Go to Preferences > Accounts.
- Under Two Factor Authentication click on Setup two-step authentication link, the configuration process will begin.
- The first step shows a brief description about two-step authentication. Click on Begin Setup.
- Write your password, then click on Next.
- Next, the Two Factor authentication wizard will show a Wiki link with the OTP Apps Zimbra recommends to use. Download & install one of the supported apps.
- Once you install and configure the app, click Next.
- The 2FA wizard will show a unique key that the user must enter in the Smartphone OTP App.
- Once the App is configured and showing the 6 digit code, enter the Code in the wizard window and click Next.
- The two-step authentication feature is now enabled, and then you will be prompted for a code in each new Browser, smartphone, computer, or app where you try to access the account.
- In the user's Preferences → Accounts → Account Security, you will see more options like the one-time codes, Trusted devices, and Applications.
Zimbra provides the One-time codes functionality, this function allow users to generate multiple codes to use in case of emergency (lost device, low battery.. etc).
The user can click on the One-time codes View option to see the codes.
The user must keep the codes secure (written somewhere, in another device, etc.).